Re: Grep Japanese characters

From: Filipp Gunbin
Subject: Re: Grep Japanese characters
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2018 17:06:38 +0300

On 13/07/2018 10:21 +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

[..]
> The conclusion is that UTF-8 can be used as a locale's codeset
> (good!), but sending UTF-8 text to the console still doesn't work well
> (not so good).  So if people use this knob in Windows 10, they should
> arrange for console input and output to be in some codepage other than
> 65001 (a.k.a. UTF-8).
[..]

But in message <86pnzsbnvu.fsf@misasa.okayama-u.ac.jp> above it was
reported that grepping of these non-ascii chars worked from emacs, no?

And what does "using as locale's codeset" then means in your message?

I'm not a Windows user (anymore) myself, it'd be just nice to know what
is the situation on Windows.

Thanks.