File-stamp implementation?

From: Alan E. Davis
Subject: File-stamp implementation?
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2018 22:33:10 -0700

Some years ago, I had rewritten time-stamp.el as a useful file-stamp
function.  I had a habit of changing filenames during a project, and wished
to preserve a "bread crumb trail" of the previous file names, as well as
the ordinary "Time-stamp".  At the time, I was sufficiently up to speed on
Elisp to make the needed changes, and it worked fantastically.  Ths very
idea of writing customization templates, along with the basic changes
themselves was discouraging for one of my limited programming abilities.

Beneath the Time-stamp, was "File-stamp:" template.  I also kept a running
list of the previous file names in the header.  First:

File-stamp: <>

   then

Previously:

Actually, the most important thing was the File-stamp: entry.  One previous
file version would be useful, and the previous name before a major change
would also be useful.

Does anyone have such a utility?  I

--
[Fill in the blanks]

The use of corrupt manipulations and blatant rhetorical ploys ...---
outright lying, flagwaving, personal attacks, setting up phony
alternatives, misdirection, jargon-mongering, evading key issues, feigning
disinterested objectivity, willful misunderstanding of other points of
view---suggests that ... lacks both credibility and evidence.

             ---- Edward Tufte (in context of making presentations)