Re: Is there a way to "asciify" a string?

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: Is there a way to "asciify" a string?
Date: Mon, 28 May 2018 22:30:38 +0700

On Mon, May 28, 2018 at 5:39 PM <tomas@tuxteam.de> wrote:

> One often-used method is to just URL-encode [1] the thing. On the plus
> side, it's always ASCII and you have a "lossless" mapping back and forth,
> on the down side you lose lexicographic order and (some) readability
> (although we trained rats have already learnt to cope with %3D and %2F)

%3D ‘=’ and %2F ‘/’ are Trained Rat Level 1 material. Under your
suggestion, my name is %D0%AE%D1%80%D0%B8%D0%B9+%D0%A5%D0%B0%D0%BD and it
takes a certain effort to decode that in my head. I seriously doubt Tak
Kunihiro’s urlencoded name could be read at all without decoding.

(On the other hand, I regularly get offended at banks trying to
automatically transliterate my name when issuing a card for me.)