Re: nXML mode indentation

From: N. Raghavendra
Subject: Re: nXML mode indentation
Date: Tue, 08 May 2018 10:03:33 +0530

At 2018-05-05T19:08:36+05:30, N. Raghavendra wrote:

> I request help regarding indentation of text that is directly inside
> elements in nXML mode.  Here is an example of the default indentation
> provided by the mode:
>
> ----------
> <para>Let us suppose that the noumena have nothing to do with necessity,
> since knowledge of the Categories is a posteriori.  Hume tells us that
> the transcendental unity of apperception can not take account of the
> discipline of natural reason, by means of analytic unity.</para>
> ----------
>
> All the lines in the element are indented to the same column.  I would
> like to indent the above text as
>
> ----------
> <para>Let us suppose that the noumena have nothing to do with
>   necessity, since knowledge of the Categories is a posteriori.
>   Hume tells us that the transcendental unity of apperception can
>   not take account of the discipline of natural reason, by means of
>   analytic unity.</para>
> ----------
>
> Here, every line in the element after the first is indented two columns
> more than the first line.  (This is in fact the default indentation of
> sgml mode, and psgml mode.)
>
> Is there a way to achieve the second style of indentation in nXML
> mode?

I am bumping this in case it went unnoticed.

I am trying to follow the XML style guidelines of the FreeBSD
Documentation Project,

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/fdp-primer/writing-style-guide.html#writing-style-indentation

and I would indeed like to use nXML mode.

It looks like `nxml-compute-indent-from-previous-line' in nxml-mode.el
is relevant, but I can't see how to modify or advise it.

Thanks,
Raghu.

--
N. Raghavendra <raghu@hri.res.in>, http://www.retrotexts.net/