Re: Question about memory usage

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Question about memory usage
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2018 17:03:16 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
> Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2018 09:13:44 -0400
>
> >> Hmm... why would setting this var make any significant difference here?
> > Because the variable is on/referenced via the stack, I suppose.
>
> I don't follow.  At the end of each iteration of the loop, we kill the
> temp buffer, so the effect of having set its buffer-undo-list slot or
> not should be negligible (or more specifically: this effect should only
> exist until the next GC).

As I said: maybe I misunderstand what you are asking.  So let me say
something that perhaps better matches your question: a temporary
buffer has its undo turned off, but setting buffer-undo-list to nil
turns this on again, so inserting a character into the buffer conses
stuff onto the undo-list.

Does that answer the question "why would setting the variable make any
difference"?