Ubuntu 16.04 server --- Contacting host: elpa.gnu.org:80 when package-re

From: izzy . yichao . cai
Subject: Ubuntu 16.04 server --- Contacting host: elpa.gnu.org:80 when package-refresh-contents
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2018 03:56:34 -0800 (PST)

Hi folks,

I have tried to install elpy in emacs (24.5.1) on my server which is running
Ubuntu 16.04.

When I run M-x package-refresh-contents, emacs successfully connected to
stable.melpa.org:443.
After that, it was hanged on "Contacting host: elpa.gnu.org:80". I am pretty
sure that I am not behind proxy.

Then I tried to ping this host and this is what I got:
me@server:~$ ping elpa.gnu.org:80
ping: unknown host elpa.gnu.org:80

However, pinging other websites is normal. I also tried to access this
(elpa.gnu.org:80) on my local computer and it is accessible.

Does anyone get a hint of what is going on? Thank you so much!

Best regards,
Yichao