Re: Disable menu bar mode

From: Kaushal Modi
Subject: Re: Disable menu bar mode
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2017 05:13:38 +0000

On Wed, Dec 13, 2017 at 10:15 PM Emanuel Berg <moasen@zoho.com> wrote:

> Kaushal Modi wrote:
>
> > menu-bar-mode is a minor mode.
> >
> > So you do just M-x menu-bar-mode to toggle it
>
> Well, you menu bar users should know :)

Well, I don't use menu bars.

Even if I had come across an unknown mode, say smart-ass-mode, I could
first of all easily guess that it's either a major mode or a minor mode. If
I need to call it interactively or toggle then it's most likely a minor
mode.

But there is no need to guess..By calling M-x xref-find-definitions (bound
by default to M-.) with point on "smart-ass-mode" (in emacs-lisp-mode
buffer), I can directly jump to the elisp definition and figure out what it
actually is.

So I did that with menu-bar-mode, and M-. jumped to:

(define-minor-mode menu-bar-mode
  "Toggle display of a menu bar on each frame (Menu Bar mode).
With a prefix argument ARG, enable Menu Bar mode if ARG is
positive, and disable it otherwise.  If called from Lisp, enable
Menu Bar mode if ARG is omitted or nil.

And then (emacs) Minor Modes node in the emacs manual talks about using M-x
MINOR-MODE to toggle that mode.
--

Kaushal Modi