Re: File .emacs not read

From: Philippe Delavalade
Subject: Re: File .emacs not read
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2017 12:07:07 +0100

Le jeudi 30 novembre à 16:17, Loris Bennett a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> Philippe Delavalade <philippe.delavalade@orange.fr> writes:
>
> > Hi.
> >
> > I'm using emacs 25.3.1 under linux ; I just upgraded slint-14.2 to
> > 14.2.1rc2.
> >
> > Now when starting emacs as user philippe or root or others, it seems that
> > ~/.emacs is not read and I obtain a window *warnings* saying :
> >
> > Error (initialization): User GDM has no home directory
> >
> > I looked for this error on google but answers don't help me.
> >
> > Thanks for advices.
>
> I don't think this is an Emacs problem.  GDM sounds like the Gnome
> Display Manager and on my Debian system the user 'Debian-gdm' is the
> owner of my Gnome shell.  Bizarrely you seemed to have managed to log in
> as a similar system user.  As this user doesn't have a home directory,
> let alone a .emacs, you get the error you are seeing.

Thanks for your answer.

I'm really logged as I should be (root, philippe, etc.).

I don't know the real status of gdm; Gnome is not installed, just gdm so
that accessibility for blind people works in a gui (I don't use this).

> What does 'whoami' or 'id' say?  Maybe some other stuff than just slint
> got upgraded and broke your display manager.

Maybe but I'm using console.

I observed that if I use C-x C-u for instance, emacs asks me if I want to
enable the command for future editing sessions. If I say yes, it asks to
create directory /home/philippe/tmp/~GDM/. When saying yes, it creates
the directory with a .emacs in it with the line
(put 'upcase-region 'disabled nil)

But in a new cessions, it does not read this file .emacs and still asks
for upcasing the region. Then it creates a new .emacs exactly the same as
.emacs~.

I'll try to see with the slint maintainer but I knwo he is not an emacs user...

Thanks again.

Regards.

--
Ph. Delavalade