Re: Gnus: Thread notes?

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: Gnus: Thread notes?
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2017 13:14:23 -0700

>> I'll add a brief shameless plug for my package Gnorb (in Elpa) which
>> does something like this. Basically you can attach Gnus messages to an
>> Org heading (using the registry), and jump from the heading to an
>> ephemeral group holding all the related messages. Plus a bunch of
>> other stuff.
>
> Thanks for all answers and ideas!  I don't want to answer to all, so
> here is a summary:
>
> I already knew org capture commands - but as sole util, they don't alone
> fit what I want.  It could only be a part.
>
> I also knew that I can tick messages.  I already have hundreds of ticked
> messages so that I started to mark messages as "unread" as a flag for
> myself meaning "read it again - important".  Not a good workflow.

That exact state of affairs is what led me to write Gnorb :(

[...]

> Finally, "Gnorb" seems to fit perfectly, though I was a bit skeptical
> first cause it seemed a bit complicated.  It allows me to capture notes/
> todos etc from the Gnus summary buffer.  I can let Gnus flag all
> messages that have an org headline attached in the summary buffer,
> directly jump to the headline from the messages buffer and back etc -
> all I wanted.  Seems nice - how could something with such a nice name as
> "Gnorb" disappoint you... ;-)

Glad it's working! It does seem complicated, partly because it *is*
complicated, but partly because it's hard to explain the workflow in
words. I keep meaning to make a screencast of the tracking feature, but
I haven't gone and looked into packages for doing that. There's
something called "screenkey" that looks okay, but I'd like something
more Emacs aware, where you can filter out everything but commands from
a single package.

Anyway, please report bugs/feature requests. I've gotten a bit
distracted from Gnorb while working on EBDB, and now attacking bits of
Gnus, but it's really all the same project.

Eric