Re: CVE-2017-14482 - Red Hat Customer Portal

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: CVE-2017-14482 - Red Hat Customer Portal
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2017 13:18:59 -0400

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> But they don't tell the whole story: the vulnerability was actually
> caused by Gnus, MH-E, and perhaps other MUAs who decided to
> automatically support enriched text, without checking the code first.
> Otherwise, enriched.el per se has/had no problem whatsoever.

I disagree. Simply opening a file in an unpatched Emacs can run
arbitrary code with zero prompting. This is a massive security risk that
is entirely internal to enriched.el (possibly with the 'display property
more generally). It does get worse that Gnus would trust enriched.el to
decode mail messages too. But anyone using Emacs from 21.1 to 25.2
should be aware of this issue, whether or not they use Emacs for mail.