Re: dired-hide-details-mode have no effect suddenly

From: Charles A. Roelli
Subject: Re: dired-hide-details-mode have no effect suddenly
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2017 21:10:33 +0200

> From: Tomas Nordin <tomasn@posteo.net>
> Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2017 19:48:59 +0200
>
> Hi List
>
> Here is a problem I don't know how to reproduce. I have this in my
> .emacs:
>
>     (add-hook 'dired-mode-hook 'dired-hide-details-mode)
>
> and details are hidden by default, the way I like it. Sometimes I need
> to see some details and I use (default I think) the key ( to toggle
> visibility of details.
>
> However, suddenly after some long time of keeping emacs alive, details
> are always shown and I cannot toggle it. I have been trying to detect at
> what moment this happens but I fail to understand what the interference
> is. At this point all I can think of is restarting emacs. Did somebody
> notice a similar problem?
>
> Best regards
> --
> Tomas

I had the same issue once.  I had mistakenly added to the global value
of the variable 'font-lock-extra-managed-props' in some of my own code
for a buffer-local minor mode, instead of making the variable
buffer-local.  That resulted in dired-hide-details-mode breaking (and
a month's worth of confusion).