Re: Is there a way to convert a keyboard macro to a string?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Is there a way to convert a keyboard macro to a string?
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2017 14:40:00 -0400

> Thanks, that was _exactly_ what I needed!  This means that what I want
> is to first use seq-into (wrapped in condition-case), and if that fails,
> key-description.  Emacs did not disappoint! ;-)

I think that's the wrong approach: the kinds of strings returned
are different.

E.g for a vector like [?\C-a], seq-into will return a string with
a single char (the ASCII code 1), whereas key-description will return
the string "C-a".

The most likely situation is that you always want to use
`key-description` because the reason for wanting a string is to
have a human-readable representation of the sequence of events.

        Stefan