Re: I want to contribute and chose right project for graduate thesis

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: I want to contribute and chose right project for graduate thesis
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2017 00:17:14 +0200

Tomas Nordin wrote:

> cut is a program for getting selected
> delimited fields from a file. Some people
> over the years has requested the possibility
> for the program to respect the order of the
> fields specified (cut will maintain the order
> of fields in the file).

cut(1) is a small shell utility, part of the
indispensible Unix (or GNU) tool chain. It is
located in the coreutils package, assuming
a Debian system or fork.

cut is used for simple but effective parsings
of command outputs, for example this one

    #! /bin/zsh
    key () {
        local key=$1
        ascii -t $key | head -n 1 | tr -s  " " | cut -d" " -f 2
    }

You can get the source with

    $ apt-get source coreutils

The cut source will then be in the src/ dir, in
the file cut.c .

cut.c is 832 lines of very good-looking C,
which isn't always the case if someone was
under that illusion.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573