Re: desktop-read usage and syntax ::error, strange character

From: ken
Subject: Re: desktop-read usage and syntax ::error, strange character
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2017 16:51:07 -0400

On 07/19/2017 07:11 AM, Sharon Kimble wrote:
Sharon, thanks for your reply. There's a lot there though which I'm not
understanding.  For
instance, what do you meanfur that you 'restore them from memory'?  And what is
tabbar...? and what
are tabs?
I remember what files I had open before the 'emacs.desktop' corruption
and I then use that memory to help me load them back into emacs. It just
uses brain power and brain memory to tell me what buffers I had open,
and which I therefore need to reload.

:-D That was my second choice for interpretations. The first was that you had an app to search through RAM. Back in the DOS days there was such a thing. Haven't heard of such a creature for Linux (though it wouldn't be a huge job to code it).

Tabbar and tabbar-ruler [fn:1] help you by having each buffers title
shown in tabs at the top of the emacs buffer. These tabs are similar to
the tabs you can find in most internet browsers, think firefox,
chromium, Vivaldi, etc. You can move very easily between them by using
your mouse, or perhaps keyboard but I'm not sure of that. Anyway, every
buffer is a tab, and tabs are grouped together dependant on their major
mode. So all elisp buffers are grouped together, and ditto with
org-mode, etc. Both programs are available from ELPA, and if you're
still using your mouse then they're very worthwhile.

Okay, thanks. That sounds cool. Yeah, I'm well aware of tabs in general, but had never seen or heard of them for emacs. Sounds like that would be handy in situations... though many times I need to have two buffers visible at the same time, or also one and the same buffer open in two different frames, both visible at the same time. So do tabbar/tabbar-ruler allow that as well, say, by doing "C-x 5 b chosen-buf"...? or is it mandated that henceforth all buffers will be tabbed and only so (so long as tabbar/tabbar-ruler is invoked)?