Re: Emacs user manual in Spanish

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Emacs user manual in Spanish
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2017 21:08:34 +0200

Héctor Lahoz wrote:

> I've been looking for a Spanish translation
> of the manual and I couldn't find one. Well,
> I found one but it is clearly outdated since
> it is for version 21.3.

Perhaps there isn't any more recent edition.

Manuals are very tricky if they should be
translated or not.

In a perfect world the Emacs techno-science
conglomerate would hire professional tech
translators to get the job done.

However, in the imperfect anomaly which is the
current realm, those efforts are put on
enthusiasts that often underestimate the effort
and time to do a complete, proofread
translation. And when it comes to a manual, an
incomplete one may often be an injustice.

Manuals are part of technology - bugs must be
found and corrected. What could and should be
translated tho are "computer culture" books,
for example this one:

    @book{quarter-century-of-unix,
      title      = {A Quarter Century of UNIX},
      author     = {Peter Salus},
      publisher  = {Addison-Wesley},
      year       = 1994,
      ISBN       = 0201547775,
    }

Altho a great book on technology, that book
itself isn't really technology.

It is a fact that people are getting better and
better at English. When I was a kid, I was
amazed with the Germans and so on whose English
was way below our level. But now I've met
several Germans in their 20s and they speak
better English than I did when I was 20.

Especially for tech and science people, not
mastering English, at least with respect to
their own field(s), is to cripple them.
And a great way to learn is to read manuals and
other technology material.

> Does anyone know if there is a more recent
> translation? If there isn't, where (if
> possible) can I get the texinfo sources?
> Could I somehow contact the authors of this
> Spanish translation?

See if there is a Spanish language Emacs list
on Gmane - someone there might know.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573