Default font / size

From: John Mastro
Subject: Default font / size
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2017 14:50:50 -0700

The default font in "emacs -Q" in "Courier New-10.0". I'd like to change
that to "Consolas-10.0" via Lisp code, but without explicitly specifying
the font size of "10.0"[1].

Is there any way to do that? My first thought was to try

(add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(font . "Consolas"))

but that results in "Consolas-12".

[1]: My goal is to avoid having to specify a different font size for
     each of the systems on which I use Emacs, since Emacs presumably
     has logic to pick a reasonable font size.

Thanks

        John