Re: Tramp and sftp

From: Stephen Berman
Subject: Re: Tramp and sftp
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2017 19:52:59 +0200

On Fri, 21 Apr 2017 19:16:23 +0200 Michael Albinus <michael.albinus@gmx.de>
wrote:

> Stephen Berman <stephen.berman@gmx.net> writes:
>
> Hi Stephen,
>
>>> No, this is not possible anymore. One fallback would be psftp, part of
>>> the putty package. This package does exist also for GNU/Linux systems.
>>>
>>> The other possibility is to use ssh or scp methods for connection. They
>>> don't need dbus and fuse.
>>
>> This is a host I don't have shell access to, it only accepts ftp.
>
> Then compling putty yourself, and using Tramp's psftp method seems to be
> your best choice.

In fact, I decided to go the "dirty hands" route (with essential
handholding from the Beyond Linux from Scratch instructions) and went
ahead and built and installed gvfs (which required a boatload of
dependencies) and fuse (which required reconfiguring and recompiling the
kernel), and this, in addition to launching dbus, was all it took: now
sftp works via Tramp again.  Thanks for convincing me to bite this
bullet (by explaining that Tramp needed these to work with sftp).

Steve Berman