Re: shell-command in Windows 7

From: John Mastro
Subject: Re: shell-command in Windows 7
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2017 12:54:37 -0700

42 147 <aeuster@gmail.com> wrote:
> setup-cygwin.el is perfectly compatible with the code that John Mastro
> suggested (which works better than what I had previously anyway). I need
> setup-cygwin.el to run cygwin in Emacs. No way I'll stop loading it!

I've been using native Windows builds of Emacs together with Cygwin for
several years now. (Eli recommends against it for very sensible reasons,
but I haven't found anything better and it works well enough for me).

During that time, I've never used setup-cygwin.el. I don't even know
what it does, so I could be missing out, but I wanted to mention that
(at least in my use case) setup-cygwin.el isn't necessary to use Cygwin
with Emacs.

        John