RE: moving between buffers side-by-side using the keyboard

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: moving between buffers side-by-side using the keyboard
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2017 06:41:56 -0800 (PST)

> But if I do 'C-x o' now , it shows
> (wrong-type-argument commandp outline-minor-mode-prefix) in command-execute
>
> So where do I go from here please?
>
> I don't have windmove or ace-window installed, but I'm quite prepared to
> if it means that I get the required functionality.

I'd say that _independently_ of whether you decide to use some
other method, you might want to get the above problem straightened
out.  How you do that can help you with other, similar problems later.

First, what you are asking about is switching _windows_, not
_buffers_.  Knowing the kind of thingie you are asking about can
help you when trying to figure things out by looking at function
and variable names, consulting the doc, etc.

Second, to find whatever in your setup is taking over `C-x o' and
stop it from doing so, recursively bisect your init file - that's
a binary search for the culprit, and it is quite quick to do.

You can do that by commenting out a region of text in your init
file.  Comment out first 1/2 of it (stopping after a full sexp
(expression), of course, so that what is commented out can be
evaluated without error).  Then comment out half of the half that
is problematic (so you've now narrowed it down to 1/4).  Then
from 1/4 you keep doing the same thing: 1/8, 1/16, 1/32, 1/64,
1/128... until you get to whatever code is causing the problem.

This is blind and dumb, but it is quick and systematic, and it
cannot fail.

If the problem turns out to be in some library that you load,
then either stop loading it (!) or repeat the same operation
on it, to see which part of it is problematic.

To comment out a region of text you can use command
`comment-region'.  (Bind it to a key, if you want.)  With a
plain prefix arg (`C-u') it UNcomments the region instead.
(That is, it removes one level of comments, leaving nested
comments.)