Re: About "white flashes" when a new frame is created

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: About "white flashes" when a new frame is created
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2017 16:22:10 -0700

Andrea Cardaci wrote:
> Now, it is entirely possible that this is an issue with the window manager
> (i3), but as I said this only happens with Emacs. In particular it doesn't
> happen with rxvt, which has a black background too.

rxvt in Debian Jessie uses libx11 not GTK.  If what you are seeing is
a GTK artifact then rxvt won't experience it.

> So I was wondering if someone else is experiencing this. Please let me know
> if you need more details about my environment. I'm using Emacs straight
> from the master branch (03de82fe7ca09ab40fbcae394d4fcdfe3374496e), but the
> same happens with version 24 from the Debian Jessie repo.

I am not experiencing this using a Debian Jessie stock install of the
emacs24-lucid package.  It uses the Lucid toolkit instead of GTK.  You
might give it an install and test to see if it flashes for you or
not.  I find the Lucid emacs avoids some annoyances of the GTK emacs
and therefore it is the normal one for me.

Bob