Re: Elisp: help on string operations

From: Karl Voit
Subject: Re: Elisp: help on string operations
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2016 18:36:01 +0100

* Michael Heerdegen <michael_heerdegen@web.de> wrote:
> Hello Karl,

Hallo Michael!

>> I'd like to get a "Sorry" message for (1). Easy, if only I know how to
>> count lines in strings (as opposed to buffers).
>
> You could use `with-temp-buffer', insert the string and do your work
> there.  Alternatively, go with `count-matches' or `split-string'.

Ah, so there are no string operations on strings in "memory" but
rather (lots of) string operations on strings in buffers. I see.

>>       (message (concat "result -> " result))
>
> To avoid that a dynamically computed argument of `message' gets
> interpreted with format specifier syntax considered, it's better to use
> it like
>
>         (message "%s" (compute-some-string-here))

Good point.

>>       (re-search-forward " \[\[.+\]\[" nil t 1)
>                              ^^^^^^^^^^
> That looks wrong.  You want to have a backslash char before the
> brackets.  But since backslash is an escape character in the read syntax
> of strings, you need to escape the backslash characters, which means
> you need to double the backslashes.

That's it, I see.

Man, I hate those different levels of escaping everywhere :-(

> Any questions left?

I got help from John Kitchin as well. So far I need to digest
everything I learned for now and try to come up with a solution that
works.

Danke!

--
All in all, one of the most disturbing things today is the definitive
fact that the NSA, GCHQ, and many more government organizations are