Re: Etymology of `visiting' files

From: Florian v. Savigny
Subject: Re: Etymology of `visiting' files
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2016 14:48:11 +0200

  > When you visit a friend's home, you enter it, you can look around, and
  > you may touch and change something (move a vase from the table to the
  > console) or not, and then leave the house.
  >
  > Same with files.

Wonderful and convincing (or should I simply say "perfect"?)
explanation, Pascal! I really like that. But now my sense of sense has
been whetted:

Why are all the functions for visiting files called "find-file-..."
rather than "visit-file-..."??? (Surely they do nothing in the way of
finding out where a file is?)

Can we please rectify this for future generations? ;-)

Best regards,

Florian

--

Florian von Savigny