Re: Trouble setting default font and window size

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Trouble setting default font and window size
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2016 04:34:48 +0200

HASM wrote:

> I could further confuse the OP and claim that
> I have this in my environment: export
> XAPPLRESDIR=${HOME}/.x11resources/ export
> XENVIRONMENT=${HOME}/.Xdefaults and have one
> file per X application under $XAPPLRESDIR,
> and a bunch of includes in the $XENVIRONMENT
> file for the applications I still use, just
> because that is the way I did way back when
> (and don't actually call xrdb anymore) but
> that would be unnecessary :-)

OK! Well hopefully you don't confuse the OP
anymore, after the explanation! Everything for
the OP :)

Yeah... Actually one file per application in
general is a good idea. And that is common
practise. One .xpdfrc, one .xbindkeysrc, and
so on.

I think the Xresources file is thought to be
the X's "look and feel", tho I don't know if
that term was popularized until the GNOMEs and
KDEs desktops?

Because with Xresources you can get that by
setting conform options for several
applications with the wildcard notation! So you
don't need yet another Linux distribution to
get it...

Personally, I never used enough of them (X
applications) to explore this further, so
I just stacked the few options I have.

> I used to have a cond in there instead of the
> if, with cases for other window systems, but
> I dropped it when I recently switched from
> XEmacs back to Emacs.

People who are coming to Lisp from other
languages, and that should be almost everyone
these days, tend to like `if' + `progn' even
when there is no "else" clause equivalent
present.

When programming, it can be natural to use if
anyway as it isn't always clear from the get-go
what is needed or what will be. When set
however I think `when' is generally preferred to
(if something something) or (if something
(progn somethings)) and likewise `unless' is
preferred to (if (not something) ...).

Another "secret" of Lisp compared to other
languages is the `or' which returns the first
non-nil value. So it isn't only for branching!
It can also be the setting of a variable to the
first other thing that is set. E.g.

    (setq gear (or hook line sinker))

If all three are nil, gear will naturally
be nil! But if hook is nil but line is "hemp",
gear will be "hemp" - wonderful :)

                   - so far: 58 Blogomatic articles -