Re: on eshell's encoding

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: on eshell's encoding
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2016 18:05:06 +0300

> From: Daniel Bastos <dbastos@toledo.com>
> Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2016 11:25:55 -0300
>
> I'm running eshell.  My current modeline is
>
>   U\---  *eshell*  [...]
>
> But after a git commit, I get garbage out from my utf-8 string given in
> the command line.  It must be git's fault.  Do you confirm?  (I don't
> have the same problem if I input the string in a file.)
>
> %gc -a -m 'Função pra esvaziar a fila.'
> [cooper 95bca82] Função pra esvaziar a fila.
>  2 files changed, 5 insertions(+), 1 deletion(-)
> %

Is this on MS-Windows?  If so, you cannot invoke programs from Emacs
with command-line arguments encoded in anything but the system
codepage.  And UTF-8 cannot be a system codepage on Windows.

I suggest to put the commit message in a file and use the -F switch to
"git commit".  Or use the built-in VC commands, they will do this
automatically for you (if you have Emacs 25).