Re: Page Up/Down Issues With Emacs in Terminal

From: Dmitry Alexandrov
Subject: Re: Page Up/Down Issues With Emacs in Terminal
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2016 01:56:48 +0300

> Dmitry Alexandrov <321942@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> What is ‘(zsh) terminal’? I only know that
>> there is a free Bourne compatible shell named
>> ‘zsh’. Examples of terminals are: VT-100,
>> Linux® Console, FreeBSD Console.
>
> C'mon, don't be patronizing - it is a common
> and natural mix-up.
>
> VT100: introduced in 1978 by DEC. It has been
> emulated ever since tho.
>
> The OP is not using the Linux VTs because those
> keys don't even work there!

They do.  Even more: they work as expected in a modern GNU Emacs that is
running on Linux® Console (I’ve just tested it on Debian GNU/Linux
Jessie).

>> $ echo "$TERM"
>
> Here, TERM can be a false friend. For example,
> I run tmux so it says "screen" in the Linux VTs
> as well as in xterm!
>
> It is better to just think "what program am
> I using?"

Why the false friend?  If OP is using some terminal multiplexer that’s
exactly what we have to know.  That is the most probable cause,
actually, since: a) I strongly guess, he is using Linux® Console;
b) PgUp / PgDn should work out of a box there.