Re: SMIE examples or guides

From: Björn Lindqvist
Subject: Re: SMIE examples or guides
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2016 21:28:01 +0200

I managed to write the forward and backward tokenization functions:

(defun factor-smie-token (dir)
  (pcase dir
    ('forward (forward-comment (point-max)))
    ('backward (forward-comment (- (point)))))
  (let ((tok (buffer-substring-no-properties
              (point)
              (let ((syntax "w_\\\""))
                (pcase dir
                  ('forward (skip-syntax-forward syntax))
                  ('backward (skip-syntax-backward syntax)))
                (point)))))
    ;; Normalizes different indent starters.
    (cond ((string-match factor-smie-indents-regex tok) ":")
          (t tok))))

(defun factor-smie-forward-token ()
  (factor-smie-token 'forward))

(defun factor-smie-backward-token ()
  (factor-smie-token 'backward))

It works in 99% of the cases. But since almost any character can be
part of a token, it doesn't work perfectly. E.g te]st(ab3 would be a
perfectly valid variable name. I tried changing the syntax to
"w_()\\\"" and that fixes the tokenization but then I lose the useful
automatic indentation smie adds to opening- and closing bracket
characters. E.g I'm happy that smie indents:

[
    neat
    {
        nice
    }
    (
        good
    )
]

It's very nice. But the following two lines are not right:

hi[there
   two

They should be:

hi[there