Re: using use-package

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: using use-package
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2016 14:30:09 +0100

On Tue, June 28, 2016 2:14 pm, Rusi wrote:
> On Tuesday, June 28, 2016 at 6:40:47 PM UTC+5:30, Phil Lord wrote:
>
>> On Tue, June 28, 2016 2:02 pm, Rusi wrote:
>>
>>> On Tuesday, August 11, 2015 at 2:55:50 AM UTC+5:30, Stefan Monnier
>>> wrote:
>>>

>>> Returning to this old thread:
>>> I was trying to do:
>>>

>>> (global-set-key (kbd "C-x C-b") 'electric-buffer-list)
>>> (define-key electric-buffer-menu-mode-map (kbd "X")
>>> 'save-buffers-kill-emacs)
>>>
> Well I would have thought that needing eval-after-load and relatives
> is evidence of a badly written (in Stefan's sense) package

AFAICT, the error here is happening because electirc-buffer-menu-mode-map
has not been loaded?

The package could autoload it, but if all packages do this, then it would
slow autoloads somewhat. So, I am not clear here that this is a problem
with the package. Perhaps there is a better solution.

> For myself (as you seem to say) if use-package reduces all that
> imperative gunk I guess I'll use it

I've listened to Stefan's criticism of use-package, and they are valid. I
still use use-package, but I have promised myself that everytime I find
myself using it to fix a package, I submit a bug report, or patch to the
package.