Re: Problem running M-x flyspell-buffer (aspell error)

From: John Mastro
Subject: Re: Problem running M-x flyspell-buffer (aspell error)
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2016 21:14:41 -0700

> Davin Pearson <davin.pearson@gmail.com> wrote:
> Where do I go about getting a 64 version of GNU Emacs?
>
> The following Website doesn't have it:
>
> http://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/emacs/windows/
>
> Also, how do I go about getting a 64 bit version under Lubuntu GNU/Linux?
>
> sudo apt-get install emacs24 gives me the 32 bit version.

I get 64 bit Emacs binaries for Windows from here:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/emacsbinw64/files/?source=navbar

On GNU/Linux I just check out the git repository and build from source (see the
file INSTALL.REPO at the top level of the repo for instructions). If you go
this route, you should run "git checkout emacs-25" before building so that
you're on the release branch, given the current point in the development cycle.

However, if Lubuntu is giving you 32 bit binaries, perhaps the OS itself is 32
bit? In that case I don't think you can run 64 bit binaries. Conversely, f you
have the 64 bit version of Lubuntu, apt-get should install a 64 bit Emacs
without you needing to do anything special. Unless you want to use a
development version for other reasons, apt obviously has many benefits.

        John