Re: hijack C function, use it transparently with in-between layer

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: hijack C function, use it transparently with in-between layer
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2016 12:12:12 +0100

> Barry Margolin <barmar@alum.mit.edu> writes:
>
>> Is that a bug or a feature request?
>
> The reason I thought this would be cool to have
> is exactly the messaging. I thought it could be
> cool to drop certain messages I never care for
> anyway (e.g., "Mark set", "Auto-saving...done",
> etc.).

The messaging framework of Emacs is a little under-powered at the
moment -- one which bugs me, for instance, is Emacs has now (lisp level)
ability to write to standard out. Unless it's running in batch, when it
always does so.

It's possible, of course, to write something better, but most packages
use message directly. The ability to filter, suppress and change various
messages would be good. Probably the best way to achieve this would be
to pull message out of C and into lisp.

It's all doable, just takes time. If you want it, why not fork from
master, and start working on it?

Phil