Re: Reply to list [was: Different key maps in different dired buffers]

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: Reply to list [was: Different key maps in different dired buffers]
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2016 21:29:26 -0600

Dmitry Alexandrov wrote:
> >> ... seems to implicate the Stanford newsgroup gateway.
> >
> > I’ll try to post this message to ‘gnu.emacs.help‘ via a proper news
> > server (news.gnus.org) and not with Gnus, let see what will happen.
>
> That is it!  References are broken.

I think it is confirmed.

> So what we could do with it, besides avoiding posting here via
> ‘gnu.emacs.help’?

That is the problem.  It is available.  People will use it.  We can't
stop people from posting to the news group.

> It would be logical to report this issue to the gateway maintainers (or
> how else should be they called?) at Stanford, I have no idea though,
> where to report to them to.

Now that we have determined it to be the problem I guess we should
contact them and see if they can address the problem somehow.  I don't
know who maintains the gateway.  I have never had any interaction with
them.

> Or is it <listmaster@gnu.org>’s (is there any?) business to deal with
> broken gateways?

Well... I think that is me!

AFAIK the listmaster address is now untended.  AFAIK it was replaced
with mailman@gnu.org for use with Mailman.  AFAIK (a lot of softening
here) that happened around 2003 according to notes left behind in
files so it has been a while.  Regardless of the actual history it
predates my involvement by many years.  Which is why I have AFAIK so
many times.

These days the mailing list admins on the non-FSF side of things are
myself and Karl.  Karl and I handle almost all of the mailing list day
to day activity.  That includes all of the anti-spam and helping
people with subscription and with large file problems and so forth.
The FSF admins maintain the Mailman installation and Mailman upgrades.
But they don't get involved in the day to day maintenance.

And so you could write to mailman@gnu.org but that would just fall
through to me or Karl at some point. :-) You could write to
help-gnu-emacs-owner@gnu.org and that would reach the owners of this
mailing list.  Which includes several other people in addition to
myself and the -owner address is always a good thing to do when
dealing with a specific mailing list.  Anyone of the group there could
help.

Meanwhile, while investigating the listmaster address, I ran across
another related untended mailbox that is 1.2G in size holding 71345
messages piling up from 2006 that all appear to be spam.  Oh joy.
Not! :-)

In any case, I will try to chase down who is the maintainer of the
Stanford news to mail gateway and contact them about the problem.  It
has been this way for years.  It will probably take a while to get
fixed.

Bob