Re: Any cool uses of Lentic?

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: Any cool uses of Lentic?
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2016 12:39:05 +0100

Marco Wahl <marcowahlsoft@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Tory,
>
>> Looking at Lentic[1] it seems like something that has been thought out
>> and well developed, but I feel I'm missing awesomeness that I know
>> must be there. How is it more than only a shortcut for indirect
>> buffers?
>>
>> Footnotes: [1]  https://github.com/phillord/lentic
>
> I think lentic is really great stuff.
>
> I use lentic for my init.el at https://github.com/marcowahl/.emacs.d.
> With lentic I have an additional view on the configuration file as
> Orgmode buffer.  The latter allows to structure the file with the
> features of Orgmode and export parts as documentation e.g. a
> readme-file.
>
> This would not be possible with just use an indirect buffer and switch
> on org-mode AFAICS.

That is really, really very nice indeed. You're clearly much more of an
org-mode user than I have, with quite extensive use of it's facilities.
It's the sort of structured commenting that I wanted from lentic in the
first place.

I'm about to add functionality so that lentic should work out of the box
with many forms of script -- I have python, and bash so far, but others
are easy to add. Lentic is nice at the moment, but setting it up for a
given file is too much of a pain; once this is easier I suspect I will
just use it routinely for all my file.

Just looking at your repo, you have "compile-docu.org". I do something
like this - you might find the `lentic-batch-clone-and-save-with-config'
function works for you.

Phil