Re: Any cool uses of Lentic?

From: York Zhao
Subject: Re: Any cool uses of Lentic?
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2016 11:34:41 -0400

> it will involve manually installing the dependencies of lentic also.

I thought those dependencies have been installed by cask. So do you mean
that
one still have to manually "require" all these dependencies? If so, what's
the
point of using cask? I don't know much about cask, so please correct me if
I'm
wrong.

> Is there a particular reason why you don't want to use a package
installation?

What I've always been doing is to clone the git repositories. If the
Makefile
supports, I do "make && sudo make install", otherwise, I manually require
it,
along with all the dependencies. This works well if a package doesn't have a
bunch of dependencies that I haven't installed yet. However, I'm tired of
having
to go getting /cloning each dependencies, and then manually "require" them
in my
.emacs. I thought maybe cask would do something about this. But it seems
all it
does is to just grab the dependencies for me right?

The reason I always use my git clones is that it's convenient to make
changes
this way, if I need. I would love to hear your suggestions on this if
there's a
way of installing packages from MELPA/Marmalade while at the same time,
still be
easy to make changes in my git clone, and maybe contribute back to upstream.

Thanks,\\
York