Re: tramp and ssh-key passphrase

From: lee
Subject: Re: tramp and ssh-key passphrase
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2016 20:38:24 +0100

"Loris Bennett" <loris.bennett@fu-berlin.de> writes:

> lee <lee@yagibdah.de> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> is there a way to have tramp cache the passphrase of the ssh key I'm
>> using to edit a remote file --- or some other way which doesn't require
>> me to enter the passphrase all the time?
>>
>> It's asking for the passphrase every time emacs wants to perform an
>> autosave, and I don't really want to turn off autosaving or to use a key
>> that doesn't require a passphrase.
>>
>> I wouldn't mind defaulting to autosaving locally when editing remote
>> files, though.  Maybe that can be done somehow?
>>
>> The way it is kinda defeats the comfort of being able to edit remote
>> files ...
>
> Try setting up an SSH agent.  That way you just have to enter the
> passphrase once per session.

Thanks, I tried, and it only says

,----
| Could not add card ".ssh/[...]": agent refused operation
`----

when I try to add a key, so I killed it.  The agent had been started
with

,----
| eval $(ssh-agent)
`----

in my .xinitrc.

This is awful because it requires me to exit the X session to get the
ssh-agent to work.  I won't do much experimenting on this ...

--
GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit)
 of 2016-03-18 on heimdali