Re: rmail not working in console mode

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: rmail not working in console mode
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2016 03:26:34 +0100

Robert Thorpe <rt@robertthorpeconsulting.com> writes:

> Just to clarify, are you the guy who has been asking
> us about Rmail recently. Are you
> cptvlaze@tutamail.com ?

I told him to do that so his name (and not e-mail)
would turn up as the poster. Probably that happened
when he switched clients after setting up
`user-full-name'...

> Are you saying that Rmail works with GUI Emacs but
> it doesn't work with console Emacs? That's strange.

Yeah, that shouldn't influence.

> I'm surprised you have to put (require 'smtpmail)
> I don't have to do that.

I told him to do that as well to get
`smtpmail-smtp-service'. If he doesn't need that the
`require' can be removed along with the use/reference
of the variable.

> It's true that there are some disadvantages to this
> method. I've found the disadvantages to be more
> theoretical than practical though. The only one that
> matters is that if you have a large mbox file (say
> 50MB) then Emacs becomes faster if you split it up.
> For example, I put mail from this list in their own
> mbox file and I make a new one of those every year.

There is that disadvantage but there is the bigger
disadvantage that you cannot interact with the
material with the shell tools (or with Emacs).

If you have the mails basically the way they are
written, the headers, the body, and that's it for
a single mail, all doings with the material gets much
easier and faster and in line with how you do things.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573