Re: Use 7x13 fixed X font for Cyrillic

From: Javier
Subject: Re: Use 7x13 fixed X font for Cyrillic
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2016 23:23:53 +0000 (UTC)

> Unfortunately that still produces 12x13 Cyrillic glyphs.

Now I realize what it happens.  Latin characters are in 7x13, but
Cyrillic appear in 12x13.

>From (info "(emacs) Modifying Fontsets")

    Fontsets do not always have to be created from scratch.  If only minor
    changes are required it may be easier to modify an existing fontset.
    Modifying `fontset-default' will also affect other fontsets that use it
    as a fallback, so can be an effective way of fixing problems with the
    fonts that Emacs chooses for a particular script.

    Fontsets can be modified using the function `set-fontset-font',
    specifying a character, a charset, a script, or a range of characters
    to modify the font for, and a font specification for the font to be
    used.  Some examples are:

This should do the job

;; Use 7x13 for unicode charset.
(set-fontset-font "fontset-default" 'unicode
    "-misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--13-120-75-75-c-70-iso10646-1")

In any case, it looks like a bug, emacs by default should not resort
by default to 12x13.  The font 7x13 with iso10646-1 already contains
Cyrillic characters.