Re: getting the source finding button in c-h f help buffers to work

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: getting the source finding button in c-h f help buffers to work
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2016 20:16:20 +0100

> in a recent version of emacs, perhaps a recent emacs
> 24 minor version, it seems that c-h f source links
> no longer work if you keep your byte-compiled files
> in a separate directory from the source files.

This is especially frustrating after setting up an
ambitious Makefile with all the matches and rules to
get the compiled stuff and the source stuff in
different directories, only to discover this neat
organization of things is what actually breaks
the access!

But unlike you I didn't know this ever to work - and
how can it work? For it to work, you must tell Emacs
where the source is. Perhaps you can tell Emacs some
principle where to look - like "the same directory as
the compiled stuff only in a directory called src/ and
not with the .elc extention but .el" - then, you have
to stick to that in you Makefiles, of course.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573