Re: Mac: Don't quit Emacs when window is closed

From: Luis Gerhorst
Subject: Re: Mac: Don't quit Emacs when window is closed
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2016 22:46:39 +0100

I now found a solution that works pretty neat

;; Directly copied from frame.el but now hide Emacs instead of killing
;; it when last frame will be closed.
(defun handle-delete-frame-without-kill-emacs (event)
  "Handle delete-frame events from the X server."
  (interactive "e")
  (let ((frame (posn-window (event-start event)))
        (i 0)
        (tail (frame-list)))
    (while tail
      (and (frame-visible-p (car tail))
           (not (eq (car tail) frame))
           (setq i (1+ i)))
      (setq tail (cdr tail)))
    (if (> i 0)
        (delete-frame frame t)
      ;; Not (save-buffers-kill-emacs) but instead:
      (ns-do-hide-emacs))))

(when (eq system-type 'darwin)
  (advice-add 'handle-delete-frame :override
              #'handle-delete-frame-without-kill-emacs))

This code overrides that functions that handles the close-window button and
makes it hide Emacs instead of quitting the application when the last Emacs
frame is closed. C-x C-c and everything else still works as expected. It's not
completely optimal since it doesn't really close the frame and also does not
ask you if you want to save any changed buffers (it does however when you kill
Emacs).