Re: It's almost 2016 and when (single-threaded) Emacs hangs, you gotta b

From: MBR
Subject: Re: It's almost 2016 and when (single-threaded) Emacs hangs, you gotta be smashing your keyboard!
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2015 20:19:32 -0500

On 11/19/15 7:36 PM, Bob Proulx wrote:
P.S. Emacs has been rock solid for me for the last decade.  I can't
remember the last time I experienced an emacs crash.  Bugs in
behavior?  Sure.  But no crashes.
I tend to leave my Emacs sessions open forever. Back in the 1990s on Solaris or AIX, Emacs would stay up for months at a time. I'd only shut it down when I had to power-cycle the machine. From about 2000 to 2012 my primary machines were Windows, and my experience with the Windows version of Emacs was pretty similar. A couple of years ago when I switched to a Mac, I compiled Emacs 24.3.1 from source, and I've been using it regularly since then. But although my experience with this version is good, it's not as crash-proof as I was used to with earlier Emacses. I seem to encounter either hangs (the multi-colored spinner spins and Activity Monitor reports Emacs as "not responding") or outright crashes (a dialog box appears saying Emacs has to exit and asking if I want to restart Emacs) once or twice a month.

I do have a nasty habit of having a zillion Emacs buffers open at once, and I usually also have an instance of Firefox running at the same time in which I typically have about 20 windows open with approx. 10 tabs in each window. I've just been chalking the more frequent Emacs crashes and hangs up to running out of memory. But this is a pretty fully configured laptop, and it's got 16 GB of RAM. Should I be looking elsewhere for the cause?

   Mark Rosenthal