Re: Window too big

From: Dan Espen
Subject: Re: Window too big
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2015 21:06:11 -0500

Hendrik Boom <hendrik@topoi.pooq.com> writes:

> When I start emacs from the menu in xcfe, it always is slightly taller
> than my screen.  I have to mouse around and make it smaller before it is
> usable.  Is there something I can put, say, in my ~/.emacs file to change
> how tall it is?

Changing the initial frame size from your .emacs is not recommended.
You'll end up with the window first being mapped at one size, and then
changing as you watch emacs start.

The recommended way is to use XResources like this:

emacs.geometry: 81x56

Experiment with the last number to get the right height.
Notice that the geometry is stated in character units.

You put XResources in a file like ~/.Xdefaults.
Use xrdb to test your changes.

--
Dan Espen