Re: erin-mode: problem with auto-mode-alist and saving

From: Loris Bennett
Subject: Re: erin-mode: problem with auto-mode-alist and saving
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2015 12:55:57 +0200

Joost Kremers <joost.m.kremers@gmail.com> writes:

> Loris Bennett wrote:
>> https://github.com/stsquad/emacs_chrome/blob/master/servers/edit-server.el
>>
>> it says you can do the following
>>
>> (setq edit-server-url-major-mode-alist
>>       '(("github\\.com" . markdown-mode)))
>>
>> This more or less works for me.  If I save the emacs buffer, the
>> contents are written back to the edit field in the browser, but the mode
>> switches back to 'text', and emacs hangs.  If I then do 'C-g', the mode
>> goes back to my chosen one.  So it's slightly broken, but functional.
>
> I'm pretty sure with edit-server.el you're not really supposed to save
> the buffer. Just type `C-x #` when you're done editing. That'll send the
> contents of the buffer to Chrome and kill the buffer.

Yes, it really doesn't look as if you are supposed to save the buffer.
However, if I'm taking the minutes of an hour-and-a-half-long meeting in
a corner of the building where the wifi is a bit flakey, my 'C-x C-s'
reflex kicks in.  However, as the text is only written to the text box,
it won't help me if the connection goes down just as I try to save
within the browser.

It would be nice if there were some way to attach a file to a file-less
buffer, just in case.

Loris