Re: [SOLVED] Re: GNU emacs on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

From: Hikaru Ichijyo
Subject: Re: [SOLVED] Re: GNU emacs on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2015 04:40:04 -0500

Alexandre Oberlin <alxobr@gmail.com> writes:

> Yes, you are right, X was unavailable because of this:
> With the coming 14.04 release sux (wrapper around su which will
> transfer your X credentials) is no longer included in Ubuntu. (I think
> it is being removed because it is being pulled from Debian, because of
> no maintenance of the original code.)
> source
> http://askubuntu.com/questions/428284/what-is-a-good-alternative-to-the-sux-command
> where an alternative to using the obsoleted sux is given.
> The problem is then solved, thanks.

Rather than using sux or some other method to run the entire Emacs as
another user like root, try Tramp mode:

C-x C-f /sudo::/etc/whatever-you-want

That way, your Emacs session runs as you, and only the bare minimum
needed for root permissions is using sudo.  (You can also do
"/su::/etc/whatever" if you're on a machine with a real root account.)

--
He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from
oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent