Re: kill-region without modifying the kill ring

From: Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo
Subject: Re: kill-region without modifying the kill ring
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2015 11:47:40 -0400

Jim Newton writes:

Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo writes:

Doesn't selecting the text and using <backspace> do exactly that? By the way, as Tomás suggested, I think that you are better off always killing the region and then using M-y. You never know if you will actually change your mind and use the text you deleted. For an improved version of M-y, try: https://github.com/browse-kill-ring/browse-kill-ring
The problem, as I described above is that every time I press C-w, then to get back the text I want to yank, I must press M-y N+1 times. Here is the sequence. I copy the region I want to insert with M-w, then I start reading through the text in the buffer, every time I encounter a string I want to replace with C-y, I have to first delete what's there. So I select the first using M-space a few times, and press C-w C-y M-y, then continue to the text I want to remove and replace (maybe the same string again, or maybe one slightly different), and press M-space (a few times), then C-w C-y M-y M-y, next time I have to press C-w C-y M-y M-y M-y The 20th time I need to press C-w C-y M-y M-y M-y M-y M-y M-y M-y M-y M-y M-y M-y M-y M-y M-y M-y M-y M-y M-y M-y M-y
That's why the M-y suggestion does not work.

I see now what you mean. I think registers are better for that case. Select the region that you will yank a lot of times, do:

C-x r s 1 <enter> That is copy-to-register, assigning a key, 1 in this example, to the text. Then every time that you want to insert the text do insert-register:

C-x r i 1 <enter>

Then you can continue using C-w as much as you want.

If you will be yanking that text a lot, to save keystrokes record a macro: F3 C-x r i 1 <enter> F4, and then use F4 from then on.

--
Jorge.