Re: From Gnus to mu4e

From: Rasmus
Subject: Re: From Gnus to mu4e
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2015 12:04:40 +0200

Julien Cubizolles <j.cubizolles@free.fr> writes:

> Does this mean you don't need to run offlineimap periodically if you use
> this mode ?

Right.  It's what TB and k9 uses as well.  It works OK.  Sometimes it's
even able to handle disconnect → suspend → wake up on another network.
It's not, however, as good as the IDLE support of "proper" mailclients
such as K9 and TB.

You need to add something like

    idlefolders = ['INBOX']

To your offlineimap [remote REPOSITORY].

And maybe

    maxsyncaccounts = 5
    socktimeout = 60

To your [general].

Also, you probably need to add this to [account REPOSITORY]

      autorefresh = 28

There might be more, I added it to my offlineimap settings a while ago.

> It doesn't help with potential race conditions with Gnus
> accessing the mailbox, does it ?

No idea.  I use dovecot for accesing the maildir, like this:

(add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
               '(nnimap "mail"
                        (nnimap-stream shell)
                        (nnimap-shell-program
                         "MAIL=maildir:$HOME/mail /usr/lib/dovecot/imap")))

Maybe you can use postsynchook in [Account REPOSITORY] to your advantage.
E.g. I get popups via:

postsynchook = emacsclient -s gnus --eval "(with-timeout (2) (when
(gnus-alive-p) (gnus-group-get-new-news 1)))"

Rasmus

--
When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do, sir?