Re: How to quote a list of functions?

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: How to quote a list of functions?
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2015 12:51:18 +0200

On 2015-08-18, at 03:03, Emanuel Berg <embe8573@student.uu.se> wrote:

> <tomas@tuxteam.de> writes:
>
>> Not to forget: different name spaces for functions
>> and variables. That's the LISP-2's and that's what
>> LISP-2 users expect (they will call a variable
>> "list" without fear of shadowing their function
>> named "list"). LISP-1 folks (e.g. Schemers) will
>> shudder at this thought.
>>
>> Which one is "better" is just a matter of taste,
>> I think.
>
> I don't think it is a good idea to have variables and
> functions share names, just like I don't think it is
> a good idea to have one variable called HELP, one
> help, another Help, etc. Just because it is possible
> doesn't make it a good ide.

Mhm.  Imagine that you write a function operating on (general) lists
(like `car').  (There are plenty of Lisp functions acting on lists as
such, some of them not implemented in Elisp, so you might want to write
one yourself in real life.)

Now, what would you call the argument of such function, given that
`list' is a Lisp function?

;-)

Best,

--