Re: req-package

From: Rusi
Subject: Re: req-package
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2015 02:05:38 -0700 (PDT)

On Sunday, August 16, 2015 at 2:21:41 PM UTC+5:30, Les Harris wrote:
> I am just a normal user when it comes to use-package but it has
> completely changed how I manage configuration for emacs.  I've been
> following the recent threads on here keenly.
>
> I just wanted to say that this vision of use-package as a foundational
> framework is very exciting from an end-user's standpoint and I look
> forward to seeing what results may come.

Yes
The one thing that is not coming out in these threads or the docs is that
use-package (req-package??¹) is hi-level declarative/functional whereas the
builtin methods are low-level imperative.

The closest that the builtin methods are functional is
(require 'feature)
vs the more imperative
(load "feature")

However as soon as one wants to go from there to something a bit more
sophisticated eg add-hook, autoload, eval-after-load etc it all becomes
mind-numbingly sequence-sensitive.

¹ As is stands req-package adds a key functional feature - dependency graph
verification. However from what is currently being discussed here it looks to
be getting more imperative.