Re: using use-package

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: using use-package
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2015 12:54:34 -0400

> Yes, that would be nice to have, although it has risks.  First, it
> assumes that what is installed actually is the source code, which is not
> always the case. So, dash.el has autogenerated documentation.  And
> tangled code from an org file would be another counter.

We're miscommunicating.  I'm talking here about how to make it easy for
your personal in-development never-to-be-distributed packages (which you
currently don't bother to package) to appear and be "default configured"
in the same way as normal ELPA packages.

If those packages really use mechanically generated files and hence need
some kind of "install" step, obviously, you could just use something
like cask or elpakit, indeed.  I was only here focusing on the
"quick-and-dirty" packages where you want the packaging effort to be
kept to an absolute strict minimum.

        Stefan