Re: finding a file in a different git repository

From: Thierry Volpiatto
Subject: Re: finding a file in a different git repository
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2015 17:48:09 +0200

Josh Stratton <strattonbrazil@gmail.com> writes:

> I've installed helm to make finding files a little easier.  One thing that
> is still a little frustrating though is the normal open file command that
> will search for the file even if I'm not in the same directory will
> sometimes find a file in a different repository than I'm currently in.  For
> example, I'll launch emacs in repo1, hit "ctrl-x ctrl-f" and type the name
> of the file.  Sometimes the file it finds is in the same directory I'm
> working in, but other times it's not.  I've had be completely random, too,
> so I assume helm (I believe helm is doing the search) isn't taking the
> repository into account.  I'm not even sure how it's traversing at this
> point.

helm is always starting in the current directory unless your cursor is
on a different filename.

e.g if you cursor is on "/etc" (try) helm will start in "/etc" instead of
starting in current directory.

I guess you have enabled helm-mode and `C-x C-f' is bound to `find-file',
if you want something more sophisticated bind `C-x C-f' to
`helm-find-files' and once started use `C-h m' to learn how to navigate.

As mentionned by Dmitry, please use the helm mailing list for such
questions (I rarely read this list).

Thanks.

--
Thierry