Re: How to quote a list of functions?

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: How to quote a list of functions?
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2015 01:16:23 -0500

In article <mailman.8102.1439255290.904.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
 Emanuel Berg <embe8573@student.uu.se> wrote:

> Barry Margolin <barmar@alum.mit.edu> writes:
>
> > You consider that a misfeature? Isn't it a feature
> > that it warns you about possible typos in the
> > function names? Why are you binding keys to
> > nonexistent functions?
>
> They are existing when I use them because I have
> hundreds of key bindings that work like that.

So? The compiler runs when you byte-compile the file, there's no way it
can know what the state will be when you run it.

> The compiler has no issues either as it didn't produce
> any warnings until I added the sharp quotes. Don't you
> think the compiler should warn you when you do
> something wrong, and encourage you when you do
> something right - not the other way around?

Yes, but there's a limit to its knowledge. When you use the sharp
quotes, you're telling it that the symbol is being used as a function
name, not just data. Given this context, it performs function-related
checks.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA