Re: gnus, Maximum buffer size exceeded

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: gnus, Maximum buffer size exceeded
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2015 17:25:40 -0400

>> I wouldn't encourage people to use it: it increases the memory usage
>> of Emacs (and hence slows it down by eating up your caches more
>> quickly), but only increases the maximum buffer size by a fairly
>> small amount.
> 2GB vs 512MB doesn't sound like "fairly small amount" to me, more like
> a factor of 4 and 1.5GB of absolute increment, not a small deal.

If you don't have a separate session just for this one file, or if you
want to edit the file, or if the file will be font-locked, or in several
other circumstances, the limit will be significantly smaller than 2GB.

And since manually-created 500MB files are extremely rare, your 600MB
might very well grow to 2.3GB tomorrow, so yes I consider the difference
between 512MB and 2GB to be pretty small in this context: it's unlikely
that --with-wide-int will satisfy all your needs if a standard build
doesn't already satisfy them.  I'm not saying it's never useful, just
that those cases where it's useful are rare.

        Stefan