Re: How to get the new frame?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: How to get the new frame?
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2015 10:10:04 +0300

> From: "B. T. Raven" <btraven@nihilo.net>
> Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2015 16:02:44 -0500
>
> > Again, I fail to follow.  Where I'm typing this, I get
> >
> >    M-: (display-mm-height) RET => 180
>
> after trying to customize I see:
>
> display-mm-dimensions-alist is a variable defined in `frame.el'.
> Its value is (("t400" 304 . 190))
> Original value was nil
>
> then
>
> (display-mm-width "t400") evals to Display name does not exist
> (display-mm-width) evals to 508
> (display-mm-height) evals to 318
>
> but both numbers are more than 50% too big for the size of the physical
> screen in mm (304 by 190)

You have overridden the default value of display-mm-dimensions-alist,
but using an incorrect display name.  You should use "w32" instead.

In any case, you are not interested in absolute numerical values, just
in being able to distinguish between several different systems, right?
So the only thing that should be of interest is that each system
returns different values, no matter what those values are.

> What I want are two full width frames, an 8 line monospace-font
> frame for *Calendar* and a 24 line proportional-font frame both on
> the display at once. Now I can only do that by fiddling with the
> frames manually.

Like I said: use buffer-face-mode, it allows to set a font only for a
specific buffer, such as *Calendar* in your case.